As phase of my dwelling situation of enterprise makeover, I built a countertop over a row of filing cupboards and wished a technique to execute it more intelligent without spending comparatively about a cash (I already blew the budget for this makeover on the desk, cowhide rug and antique chair, but that’s one other memoir…which you can see the development I’ve made in that mission right here).
I had firstly regarded as doing contact paper Pretend Marble (fancy I did on this computer table), but the color of the “marble” became once honest a minute too white.
Then I believed of checklist the countertop and the usage of broken-down decoupage (the place you glue photography on to the bottom) to add some passion to it. But that sounded fancy comparatively about a labor!
But then I had an idea…why not utilize the decoupage methodology of applying paper to the bottom but as an alternate of doing particular person photography, utilize one enormous lengthy strip of paper? That sounded fancy loads much less work, but with hundreds creative probabilities.
Here’s a sneak study of the countertop sooner than and after it became once updated.
Learn on to learn easy how to replace a countertop without spending comparatively about a cash.
Procure Your Paper
The principle step to creating your countertop is to net the paper that you just in actual fact are searching for to make utilize of. Ideally, the paper would possibly likely honest tranquil be wider and longer than the countertop draw that that you just would possibly very successfully be covering, along side any overhang. That diagram you don’t must peril about matching the pattern or making a seam.
My first idea became once to make utilize of wrapping paper. It’s miles accessible in comparatively about a various colors and patterns, and which you can say it in 15′ lengths from zazzle.com. I picked out 3 diverse patterns and couldn’t decide which one to make utilize of so I ordered all of them.
After they had been delivered I laid them out on the countertop draw and tranquil couldn’t decide which one I fancy basically the most efficient. So I extinct one among my popular ways for narrowing down color selections…took photos of all three choices. This veritably helps me to see the colors and patterns more objectively, so it is less complicated to execute a resolution on basically the most efficient one.
The principle became once a pink, cream and shaded collage of Paris photos (resembling a broken-down decoupage pattern). The colors had been famous but the image did motivate me to hunt that the pattern became once too busy…I didn’t in actual fact want the countertop to be the focus.
The 2d became once a shaded and grey linen-seek Paris print which became once a long way more subdued. But I believed the background became once honest a minute more grey than I needed in this draw.
The third pattern became once a shaded and white leopard print that repeated the pattern from the curtain subject subject.
After taking the photos I became once able to assign away with the first one, but tranquil couldn’t decide which of the diverse two became once higher…I wasn’t in actual fact focused on both one among them.
Lastly, I remembered the leftover wallpaperfrom my bed room makeover (attach tuned for a submit on that mission), which has an even looking ivory colored wavy stripe on it…and when I laid it out, it became once supreme! The color became once exactly the same as the mouldings, it had ample pattern to add some passion but not ample to weigh down the room, and it became once wide ample and lengthy ample to duvet the entire countertop…resolution made!
What You Need
Prepare The Ground and The Paper
1. Use a putty knife and caulk or wood filler to possess any holes and cracks within the bottom. I purchase to make utilize of caulk for this…to me it is less complicated to work with, but both one will produce the job.
2. Sand the bottom to grab any shine or free bits on the present countertop. Be distinct that that there aren’t any bumps on the bottom or they are going to repeat through once the paper is ready in.
3. Wash and dry the bottom.
4. Prime the bottom. Delivery dull the countertop and work your diagram forward…that diagram which you can very successfully be much less at probability of lean on the moist paint. I purchase to make utilize of foam rollers for this since they scramble away a terribly at ease ground.
5. Measure the scale and width of the counter high.
6. Sever a share of paper that’s honest a minute longer and honest a minute wider than your counter high. It’s less complicated to work with the paper whether it is shut to the scale that it needs to be, but execute distinct you scramble away yourself ample further to duvet any parts which aren’t straight (in my case, very wavy partitions!)
7. Since I carried out up the usage of wallpaper, I didn’t want to produce this step…but when which you can very successfully be the usage of skinny paper, which you can are searching for to spray both side of it with Obvious Acrylic Sealer*. This helps provide protection to the paper and makes it much less at probability of amble when it is moist.
Glue On The Paper
1. When which you can very successfully be doing a lengthy countertop, which you can are searching for to roll up the paper inner out (so that the support is facing outwards). This is able to likely honest execute it less complicated to unroll.
2. Delivery at one discontinue of the counter. Use a foam roller to roll both wallpaper paste (if which you can very successfully be the usage of wallpaper) or Mod Podge (for both wallpaper or wrapping paper) onto the tip of the counter. Leave the overhang for now. Apply the paste liberally, but are attempting not to possess lumps. When which you can very successfully be doing a in actual fact perfect countertop draw, produce sections of it at a time or the glue will dry sooner than you safe there…3′ sections labored ravishing successfully for me.
3. Stick the paper onto the glue making distinct that it is straight. At the same time as you’ve got a pattern with stripes, you will and not using a doubt are searching for to execute distinct that they line up with the perimeters of the countertop (that is also ravishing obtrusive within the event that they don’t). When which you can very successfully be doing a lengthy countertop, getting this predominant share honorable is wanted…the straighter you safe it, the less complicated that is also to produce the remainder of it.
4. Use a wallpaper smoother to at ease out any bubbles by pushing gently from the center of the paper out to the perimeters. If excess glue squishes out at the brink, factual wipe it up with a damp material. Don’t push too gripping or you will stretch the paper (or even worse, amble it). At the same time as you’ve got cussed bubbles, which you can utilize a pin to chop a minute hole to let the air out…nonetheless I veritably net this means that the paper is not on straight so which you can are searching for to envision out re-positioning it.
5. You would possibly likely have the option to additionally utilize a rollpaper roller along the perimeters to execute distinct they are caught down.
6. Repeat the glue and paste cycle except you’ve got the entire paper caught to the tip of the countertop.
7. Now you will glue on the overhang. Roll the paste onto the overhang fraction of the counter high. When which you can very successfully be the usage of wallpaper, I stumbled on it labored most efficient to make utilize of a brush to position some paste on the support of the wallpaper as successfully.
8. Pull down on the fringe of the paper (gently) so that it is tight, and stick it onto the perimeters. Use the smoother to originate a crease at the corner and to at ease out any bubbles.
9. When which you can very successfully be the usage of wallpaper, which you can are searching for to make utilize of a staple gun to staple the paper to the underside of the overhang. This is able to likely honest execute distinct it stays in situation. For wrapping paper, this step likely isn’t wanted.
If the staples don’t scramble the entire diagram in, which you can utilize a hammer to execute them scramble within the remainder of the diagram.
10. Use a utility or carpet knife to trim the excess paper from the perimeters of the counter high. I comprise carpet knives and blades work most efficient…since they’re challenging ample to chop support through carpet, they produce a honorable job of making orderly cuts in paper.
11. At the same time as you’ve got any corners that repeat, cut support slits at the tip and bottom of the overhang, and fold the perimeters over corresponding to which you can very successfully be wrapping a present. You would possibly likely further glue to execute distinct these attach caught.
Seal The Countertop
1. In say to provide protection to the paper, you will are searching for to positioned on a couple of coats of sealer. Delivery with 2 coats of Mod Podge. I purchase to make utilize of a foam roller for this, too. This is able to likely honest seal the paper. You would possibly likely have the option to practice the 2d coat of Mod Podge 15 to 20 minutes after the first which makes this process ravishing rapidly.
2. If right here’s a comparatively low-utilize ground (fancy my situation of enterprise countertop), add about a extra coats of Mod Podge to execute it sturdy ample to make utilize of.
3. On the opposite hand if this countertop is in a lavatory or kitchen the place this can safe hundreds utilize and would possibly likely honest tranquil safe moist, you will are searching for to make utilize of more than one coats of an oil-basically based Polyurethane lift out or Marine Varnish. Look forward to 24 hours after the final Mod Podge coat sooner than applying the first coat of polyrethane. Then practice the producer instructions. You are going to need at the least 4 or 5 coats in say to provide protection to the paper properly. I also possess a wood countertop in my lavatory that became once sealed with Marine Varnish and I will vouch for the actual fact that it is rarely any doubt water proof!
Expertise Your New Countertop
I in actual fact fancy the diagram the contemporary countertop appears to be…ample of a pattern to add some passion but it no doubt doesn’t distract from the remainder of the room.
It and not using a doubt appears to be higher than when it started!
The colors scramble completely with the cupboards and the wall mouldings.
And it became once a in actual fact cheap mission! A decide-decide resolution all around.
Possess comments or questions on How To Update A Countertop With out Spending A Lot Of Money? Show u sin the share below.
Also Viewed On:
Tutorials & Tips Hyperlink Score collectively